Saturday, May 17, 2008

Summer Limbo

It's only my second day back in Houston and I already feel it. The vacuum. The strangling, suffocating, relentless feeling of "Blah...I really don't feel like doing anything right now." It envelops me like an ominous cloud, a cloud of Houston smog, to be exact, spinning faster and faster, growing larger and to more gargantuan proportions of sloth. Clawing its way through the very essence of my being, threatening to devour me and all exciting, reckless things I stand for. Whispering, like a Siren, temptingly in my ear, that an afternoon spent in bed might not be so bad after all.

Maybe it is something in the air.

In any case, the entire situation bothers me. Summer is suddenly here, but it doesn't feel like it. It feels like only yesterday that I was scrambling around my room, frantically throwing everything I could into a luggage case. Only two days ago that I was sleeping in the study lounge with friends, preparing for finals. Only a week ago that I first stepped foot into my Jester dorm. And only two weeks ago that I crossed the stage at graduation. If summer is really here, it should have sent me a memo.

In any case, there's a house to be cleaned, forms to be filled, luggage to be unpacked, jobs to go get, and a mountain of other things to do that seems so tempting to ignore right now. Is this what a vacation feels like? I can't believe I'm saying this, but if that's the case, I can't wait to get back to work.


I feel like not.

No comments: