Sunday, September 26, 2010

Full Circle

I never thought this day would come, but here it is.

I gave my car to my family today.

Big whoop, right? I mean, I've been talking about this for the past year like just any other day: "But don't worry Mom, next year I'm moving back to West Campus and I want you guys to use the Escape" rolled off my tongue as easily as "Oh hey, I'm going to grab groceries a couple days from today".

Maybe that's because of the person I am though. I never fully consider the consequences of what I mean or say until I'm actually living out the effects. I just wanted my family to have a car to drive that didn't have the fuel efficiency of a tank. I promise things too easily.

Anyway, as I backed out the Escape from the garage for my little brother to drive, it hit me just what it felt like to pass the torch, how much things had come full circle.

See, ever since he got word that I was returning the car to Houston, my little brother had been harassing my mom relentlessly. George had just gotten his driver's license this summer, and was fired up to use the car for all kinds of "chores."

"But Mom! You're always bugging me to get a job. You're always complaining about how you don't have enough time to go run all the errands you want. If I just had the Escape, I could do all those things!"

Totally believable, right? Looking from the other side of the conversation, it's crazy to realize how many false promises people will make to get what they want. And George has no problem getting what he wants from my parents when he wants it.

His first phone? In middle school. I didn't get one until senior year of high school... after years of begging.

His first laptop? I had to stick with old school PC's until I started college. Of course it made perfect sense for him to get one in freshman year of high school.

And let's not forget the driver's license. When he wanted his, my mom didn't skip a beat making sure he got it. It took a whole year for me to get my mom to cave.

Anyway, a little brotherly jealousy out of the way and you get my point. George was getting my car a lot earlier than I did. So it bugged me a bit as I was having sushi with my family at Kyoto tonight.

What bugged me more, though, was that when the conversation turned to college, he seemed weirdly complacent with his plans. As I was telling him about how UT compared to other Texas schools, and asking what kind of college environment he wanted, I realized he was the exact opposite of who I was junior year. Even more, he reminded me a bit too much of myself now. A bit lost, a little confused, but pretty sure things would work themselves out fine. The only difference? I'm almost done with college and wish it would never end... besides the being filthy poor part. The real world scares me.

Fast forward to the beginning of the story. Like I said, I never fully consider the consequences until I'm actually living out the effects. So here I was, backing up the Escape for the last time for a long time, feeling like I was handing over the keys to a 4-years younger version of myself. I looked back on all the great memories I had in that car (as well as the 2+ grand in tickets I've racked up in it), and I realized I haven't been without my car since freshman year of college. Holy cow.

In a lot of ways, this feels like a fresh start. George has his fresh start with the car, now I've got mine without it. No more car troubles... but I still have plenty of work cut out for me.

Besides, I've got a motorcycle. Two wheels are way more fun than four.

No comments: