Thursday, June 26, 2008

Life with Landry's: Stranger Danger

Ever been to a community or campus event, and a religion fanatic will try to convert you to Jesus Christ, or Scientology, or iSlam? Usually, by a person you don't even know?

It happens in restaurants too.

A lady at one of my tables today tried to convert me to Christianity. Foreally.

With a great big goofy smile on her face, she promised me stores of wealth and glory and fulfillment. Great. Just a few minutes beforehand, same woman was arguing fervently with me about something so nit-picky and stupid I won't even bother going into it. Well, the sermon was great stuff, but....after the first 5 minutes, I had to look for a way out. We don't hold Wednesday services at Landry's. There's no God in that place anyway. He gave up a while ago.

As I stood there, tenderly holding up a heavy stack of dirty plates and silverware, pretending to pay genuine attention to what she was saying, I could see a look of something close to amused pity slowly dawning on her husband's face. "She's from Mexico," was the only safe explanation he could give me. I shook my head. I didn't know who to feel more for, myself or this guy.

And with that, I ran my dishes back into Hell's kitchen.

No comments: