Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Driver Goes Wrong Way, Hilarity Does Not Ensue

So, I was biking downtown yesterday afternoon, in search of a job.

I adore my bike, and absolutely love road biking, but it's a scary thing if you're not used to it. Even though I can get up to 25 mph on my road bike going down city streets, there are cars whooshing by you at upwards of 35 or 40, and it's a little unnerving to know in the back of your head that you have no margin of error. One spill, one unnoticed pothole...and that's it. There's no protection, no second chances, and plenty of cars right behind you.

Exciting.

At least I can bike down Austin streets without getting bitched at. If there's anything I really hate about Houston, it's about how intolerant drivers are. When I was in Houston, I biked from my house down Eldridge to Terry Hershey Park, a 4 mile straight shot. Even as I straddled the shoulder at 25, I still get honked at no less than ten times. Amazing.

Anyway, so I'm biking full speed, through the streets of downtown Austin, in a one-way street...when an old Chevy pickup truck turns a corner the wrong way into the street, down my lane, straight at me. He's 50 feet away. I have cars surrounding me on three sides. And I'm thinking, Oh God, oh God...

The driver's eyes light up and his face seizes up with a WHAT THE FUCK look.

Eyes darting to the left and right, he quickly sees he's quite handily fucked himself over.

He looks straight at me. Like it's my fault!

30 feet away now.

I glare at him, eyes wide open, and shake my head forcefully.

I can't stop, and I can't turn. I'm going to crash headlong into him. Do something!

20 feet to go.

Car horns are blasting everywhere.

I brace for the worst.

Suddenly, he veers his old truck into an empty parking space on the side of the street, screeching to a halt.

I speed by unharmed, just as the sound of his squealing tires whizzes past my left ear, a la Doppler effect.

My mind is reeling. My fingertips are tingling, and I realize my fists have a rigor mortis-like grip on my handlebar. The colors of the downtown buildings blur and blend into each other as I quickly rehash what just happened. I'm still going 25, but I've stopped pedaling.

I take in a huge breath of air, shake my head, then pedal on. I may have narrowly avoided one disaster, but another one lies right behind me if I stop.

Exciting...

No comments: